It's Not Easy Bein GREEN

It's not easy being green...but there's so much we can do -
And when you become aware...you can make a difference too!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

I Miss My Glass Bottles!

Being aware of bein green is so hard, because you start noticing everything you throw away and there are so many things I just don't know how to recycle.

Like the aluminum foil lid on the Crystal Light little cups (I do recycle the plastic cup) - what do you do with these?

Like all of the wrappers you take off of snack bars, cereal bars, etc. - what do you do with these?

I noticed when shopping you can't even find a jar of mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup - anything in a glass jar anymore - everything is plastic.  And that's okay if we recycle it, but some of the types of plastic aren't accepted everywhere.  What do you do with those plastic jars?

I'm trying to learn as I go along, but boy, I really do miss my Diet Pepsi in the old fashioned glass bottle?  Will someone please bring this back to me?????????

1 comment:

  1. You're right that the waste starts at the source and source reduction is the best way to beat the problem. Aluminum can be recycled over and over forever, so it's a great material. The reason a lot of local facilities don't take aluminum foil is because of the food contamination. It would be great if they would take clean foil, though. Glass has a great reuasability rate, but people don't like it as much as plastic because it's breakable. I'm not one of those people, but I guess that many people do feel that way.

    Some places will take aluminum foil....check out http://www.earth911.org to see if there's someplace in your area.

    The cereal bar and candy bar wrappers can be TerraCycled to me! :)

    Anything #1 through #6 plastic can be recycled through me at Whole Foods.

    In the meantime, keep looking for things in materials you like that are easily recyclable - aluminum, steel, glass....the less plastic, the better! If you find a competitor, let your favorite company know and maybe they will consider making a switch. You are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete