It's Not Easy Bein GREEN

It's not easy being green...but there's so much we can do -
And when you become aware...you can make a difference too!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Using Less

Well, I've managed to collect two large trash bags full of recycling materials that our area does not collect, so I will be bringing them to Kate's for her Whole Foods.

When shopping at Boscov's this week, I asked each cashier (3 in all) to put my items in the one plastic bag instead of using three.....that worked well!

I'm still having trouble not using some paper towels.  I buy frozen fish and shrimp and I thaw them out in a dish, but before I cook them, they need to be dry.  That's where the paper towel comes in.  But what I do afterwards is put it in my compost.

I wrote to Hellman's today to see if they could put their mayo back in glass jars.  They said they have an 8 oz. glass jar - that's one cup - get real.  And what is the cost of that tiny jar?  I told them to think bigger.

3 comments:

  1. Is glass really any better than plastic? They won't re-use it...it will be recycled. And the lid on the glass jar has that rubber seal so you have to throw the lid away. The plastic squeezers have a plastic lid that's *maybe* recyclable. They'd be better off improving the plastic bottle...making it thinner, smaller, with a more easily recycled lid.

    Why do your shrimp need to be dry? I cook mine just drained out of the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glass does have to be recycled, but I don't think it is as harmful as plastic. Plastic is made with so many chemicals that I'm not sure how they effect us. I also just like the way things look and taste in glass better. I have to do more research.

    I'm also not sure about the fish except for watching the cooks on the Food Channel that always dry their fish before cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glass is definitely better than plastic!
    Glass keeps its integrity for many, many recycle cycles, so it can be reused over and over and over with virtually no loss.
    Plastic, on the other hand, is never really recycled...it's mostly downcycled. You currently can't take that plastic squeezer and turn it into another plastic squeezer...you can only turn it into something like Trex or patio furniture or sometimes clothing or blankets. There are toxic repercussions as well.
    They are working on a solution to make plastic truly recyclable, but it isn't here yet.
    The better plastic solution is probably the new bio-plastics like PLA...

    ReplyDelete